Tuesday, February 18

an excerpt from an email to my hero, professor, and friend, Spacc:

Ronald Allen came to my room last night and we talked for some time. He kinda set me back into reality. I talked with him about a "black table" at McClurg making fun of Chris. He told me that next year, we (the GSA) should probably not try to affiliate much with the African American Alliance. He said this b/c all of the allies are seniors and the underclassmen are pretty hostile towards homosexuals. He said that it was a huge struggle in the African American community to get me on that "What Matters" panel. This was all a shock to me. They are so nice to me to my face. That is one thing that I don't like about the South. People don't tell you how they feel about you to your face. I hate wondering who is being real with me and who is talking about me behind my back. Hopefully, I'll come up with some peaceful way to deal with these fake people.

I told Ron that if I had been around when they made fun of Chris that I would have said something. He begged me not to, for it could get ugly--that if I stepped a little onto their "masculinity" that they might get violent. Spacc, I cannot worry about reprocusions right now. I have no tolerance for that kind of behavior. Bring it on, it can only get better after it gets worse.

i will try to post about my hectic weekend sometime soon...i'm still trying to process/think through all that happened...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home